Red Pepper & Onion
PHILLY CHEESE STEAK
- 6 Boulart® Red Pepper & Onion sandwich buns
- 1 lb flat iron or strip steak
- ½ lb crimini mushrooms
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 sweet red peppers
- 4 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 oz grated provolone
- 3 oz grated orange cheddar
- 1 part soy sauce
- 1 part Worcestershire sauce
- ½ part honey
- Pinch of pepper
- Sliced fresh jalapeño
- Onion, finely diced
- Place butter in a small pot and add the flour to make a roux. Gently cook for three to four minutes making sure it doesn’t burn.
- Whisk in the cold milk until there are no lumps. Bring to just under a boil and cook until sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in the mustard and cheeses. Set in a warm place.
- Heat large cast iron skillet on medium-high.
- Get the butcher to thinly slice your meat. Or freeze until firm; slice thinly across the grain. Season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Cook quickly with a tablespoon of olive oil until medium-rare. Remove meat to a bowl toss with as much beef vinaigrette as desired, keep warm.
- In the same pan cook onions for 3 minutes, then add the garlic and peppers. Cook for another two minutes then add the mushrooms. Sauté quickly and season with salt and pepper.
- To dress the sandwich, slice the red pepper & onion bun in half, brush with oil and griddle or press in a panini press for 2 min.
- Add the warm dressed beef and the onion, mushroom mix.
- Top with a generous amount of cheese dressing and onions or jalapeño.