You can’t run a boulangerie and not make a boule. It’s the very essence of the word and that’s exactly why we take pride in our original boule. This bread is made with unbleached, untreated, enriched wheat flour, water, sea salt, yeast and malted barley. And in case we weren’t clear, boulangerie is French for bakery.
CHEESE FONDUE SERVED IN A BREAD BOWL
- 1 Boulart® Boule
- 1 cup of shredded Swiss or Fontina cheese
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of whole milk, room temperature or warmed
- 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp of all purpose flour
- 1 large shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ tsp of nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- Bake the Boule for 5-8 minutes at 375°F.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the shallot and garlic to the pan, cooking until soft and translucent.
- Add the flour and stir to combine with the butter.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer - the mixture will thicken slightly.
- Begin adding the cheese little by little, while continuing to whisk.
- When all the cheese is incorporated, add the nutmeg and season to taste with kosher salt.
- Using a sharp bread knife and a paring knife, cut a bowl shape into the Boule, and cut the extra bread you’ve removed into bite size pieces.
- Pour the cheese sauce into the Boule bowl and serve alongside the bread cubes.