Original Belgian Loaf
France and Italy love to hog the limelight when it comes to bread making, but Belgians can hold their own and this loaf is proof. It’s made with unbleached, untreated, enriched wheat flour, water, sea salt, yeast and malted barley.
14202 (CAN)Product sheet (pdf)
Belgian Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 1 Boulart® Belgian Loaf
- 2 medium-sized white onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp of butter, softened
- 2 tbsp of sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups of mixed grated cheeses (old cheddar, Swiss or Gruyere, and a melty cheese like mozzarella or provolone)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place a medium sized frying pan onto high heat and let it get hot.
- Once up to temperature, add in the butter quickly followed by the onions. Stir to combine and season with salt & pepper.
- When the onions are slightly golden brown in color, reduce the heat to low-medium and cook slowly.
- Meanwhile, turn on your waffle iron to medium/high and heat.
- Once the onions are deep golden brown and soft, add in the sherry vinegar and Worcestershire sauce and cook until reduced.
- Cut the Belgian loaf into 1” thick slices and spread some onion mixture on the bottom piece of bread. Follow by spreading a thick, even layer of the grated mixed cheeses over the onions.
- Place the top piece of bread on and butter both sides.
- Carefully place the sandwich in the waffle maker, close the lid gently and grill until both sides are crispy and toasted.
- Once done, remove the sandwich from the waffle maker, cut in half and serve alongside a mug of your favourite tomato soup.