Red Pepper & Onion Sandwich Bun
It’s made with unbleached, untreated, enriched wheat flour, water, dehydrated onions, dehydrated red peppers, sea salt, yeast and malted barley. The smell alone will make your nostrils flare.
Red Pepper & Onion
23707Product sheet (pdf)
Philly cheese steak
- 6 Boulart® Red Pepper & Onion sandwich buns
- 1 lb flat iron or strip steak
- ½ lb crimini mushrooms
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 sweet red peppers
- 4 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 oz grated provolone
- 3 oz grated orange cheddar
- 1 part soy sauce
- 1 part Worcestershire sauce
- ½ part honey
- Pinch of pepper
- Sliced fresh jalapeño
- Onion, finely diced
- Place butter in a small pot and add the flour to make a roux. Gently cook for three to four minutes making sure it doesn’t burn.
- Whisk in the cold milk until there are no lumps. Bring to just under a boil and cook until sauce starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in the mustard and cheeses. Set in a warm place.
- Heat large cast iron skillet on medium-high.
- Get the butcher to thinly slice your meat. Or freeze until firm; slice thinly across the grain. Season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Cook quickly with a tablespoon of olive oil until medium-rare. Remove meat to a bowl toss with as much beef vinaigrette as desired, keep warm.
- In the same pan cook onions for 3 minutes, then add the garlic and peppers. Cook for another two minutes then add the mushrooms. Sauté quickly and season with salt and pepper.
- To dress the sandwich, slice the red pepper & onion bun in half, brush with oil and griddle or press in a panini press for 2 min.
- Add the warm dressed beef and the onion, mushroom mix.
- Top with a generous amount of cheese dressing and onions or jalapeño.