Whole Wheat Thin Sandwich Bun
For a healthier sandwich that holds up, trust this pre-sliced bun. It’s made to be both tasty and healthy, with holding power for any topping or spread.
Open-faced mushroom & blue cheese sandwich
- 2 Boulart® Whole Wheat Thin Sandwich Buns
- 450 g of your favorite mushrooms, or a mix of a few different kinds
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, cut in half
- ½ a red onion, sliced very thinly, divided
- 2 tbsp thyme, picked and finely chopped
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup of mild blue cheese, crumbled
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pack of alfalfa sprouts
- Pour balsamic vinegar into a small sauce pan over medium low heat and simmer continuously until vinegar reduces to a syrup. This process can take 30-40 minutes and will yield approximately 3-4 tbsp of reduced vinegar. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, place a frying pan and grill pan onto medium heat.
- Once hot, drizzle half of the olive oil (1 tbsp) into the pan and add the butter.
- When the butter is melted and hot, add in half the red onion and the chopped thyme. Cook until onion is soft and almost transparent.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Let mushrooms brown evenly, cooking until soft.
- Drizzle the cut side of the bread with the rest of the olive oil and grill until the bread is crisp and golden brown.
- Remove the bread from the grill pan and rub the cut side of the bread with the garlic.
- Place the bread on a plate and top with the pan-roasted mushrooms, followed by the crumbled blue cheese and a few slices of red onion. Drizzle lightly with balsamic reduction and finish with a pinch of alfalfa sprouts.